We all know that horribly disorienting feeling of dizziness. Head spinning, false sense of motion, and feeling unsteady, woozy, weak, and faint are all symptoms associated with dizziness.
We can all feel dizzy at times for different reasons, such as being hungry, dehydrated, too hot, or having stood up too quickly.
However, before we get into any investigation as to how we might prevent and treat dizziness at home, it is vitally important that you seek medical help if you are experiencing dizziness on a regular basis.
Though dizziness can happen to any of us for a number of simple reasons, it can also be a symptom of more serious conditions.
Some Conditions that May Cause Dizziness
Dizziness itself is not usually a condition on its own, but rather a symptom of an underlying cause of varying degrees of seriousness.
Some causes of dizziness are vertigo, inner ear issues, neurological disorders, circulation problems, anemia, migraines, anxiety, travel sickness, head injuries, and even the result of taking certain medicines.
Dizziness is also associated with dehydration and heat stroke.
If you are experiencing dizziness, it might be that you have one of the above issues that needs to be addressed. Speak to a medical professional for a proper diagnosis.
Ways to Help Yourself When You Feel Dizzy
1. Drink Water and Stay Cool
Simply being dehydrated and overheated can make you feel dizzy. Stop, take a seat, and get some fluid into you. If you have overheated, rest seated in a shady, cool place until you feel better.
2. Lie Down or Sit Down
When you feel dizzy it is important to lie or sit down. This can really reduce the chance of injury should your fall. Take a moment, possibly with your eyes closed if you feel safe, and wait until the symptoms have passed.
3. The Epley Manouver
Source: Dr. Jen Caudle/YouTube
If your dizziness is caused by vertigo, there is a simple maneuver that you can do at home that may help to alleviate some symptoms.
It should also be noted that this maneuver can cause nausea. This maneuver can be done the opposite way round, starting with the head turned to the right if that is needed.
- Sit on the edge of a bed and turn your head 45 degrees to the left.
- Lie down quickly allowing your head to drop behind the pillow. Face your head at the same 45-degree angle.
- Maintain this position for 30 seconds
- Turn the head halfway — 90 degrees — to the right without raising it and hold for 30 seconds.
- Turn the head and entire body to the right side, looking downward for 30 seconds
- Slowly sit up but remain seated for a few minutes to let any dizziness pass.
It is recommended that you have a proper diagnosis from your doctor as to what is causing your dizziness before doing this home remedy.
Prevent Dizziness in the First Place
1. Know Your Triggers
You can help yourself avoid injury if you let your doctor and those around you what your triggers are that you are prone to dizziness.
Perhaps you are sensitive to heights, blood, needles, or heat. These things can either be avoided or at least you can be prepared if you know dizziness might be on the horizon.
If your dizziness comes on suddenly due to a known condition, having those around you aware might mean that they can help you more quickly should the reason arise.
2. Reduce Your Stress Levels
Stress and anxiety are linked to symptoms of dizziness. Try some simple relaxation techniques to help calm you when you feel tense or anxious. Meditation and breathing exercises might help.
3. Stay Hydrated and Shaded
Don’t let the sun beat you. Drink lots of water, especially on hot days, and try your best to keep cool. Dehydration and heat can cause symptoms of dizziness.
4. Curb You Alcohol Intake
If you are prone to dizziness, alcohol can heighten the symptoms. Try to avoid alcohol and tobacco products.
5. Get The Right Nutrients
Vitamin C, D, and E deficiency have all been connected to symptoms of dizziness. For example, if your dizziness is caused by anemia, you might have to make sure that you are getting enough iron in your diet.
DIZZINESS CAN BE A SYMPTOM OF A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. IF YOU HAVE DIZZINESS ALONGSIDE BLURRED VISION, WEAKNESS, SENSATION OF NUMBNESS, SLURRED SPEECH, OR SEVERE HEADACHES, CALL 911 RIGHT AWAY.
This article is for information purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice. You should seek medical help if you are experiencing any worrying symptoms. Discuss with your doctor any self-help or home remedies before undertaking them.
- Manage Nausea and Upset Stomach With These Natural Options
- 10 Ways Plant-Based Eating Keeps You Safe From Colds
- All About Fiber: How Much is Too Much?
- How to Make Your Own Remedy to Fight the Common Cold
- 12 Foods to Help You Survive Winter Allergies, Colds, and The Flu
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.