Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Many laundry detergents, while they may smell good and remove stains from your clothes, can be bad for your skin. They can leave it feeling dry, itchy, and can even cause nasty rashes. On top of that, the toxic chemicals that are used in most commercial detergents can contaminate the environment.
This is why it’s important to be selective when finding a soap to wash your clothes. Luckily, there are a ton of options nowadays that are free from common allergens, toxic chemicals and can still be as tough on stains as their more poisonous competitors. This list will help you find the best one for you.
1. Sheets Laundry Club Laundry Sheets
These dye-free, artificial brightener-free laundry sheets come in eco-friendly packaging and are vegan. Sheets Laundry Club Laundry Sheets are made without ingredients that cause skin irritation and don’t contain any phosphates, bleach, or parabens. 50 sheets will cost you $16.65.
2. Earth Breeze Laundry Detergent Sheets
These hypoallergenic, chemical-free, paraben-free, and phosphate-free vegan sheets pack some powerful cleaning power. The box also takes up very little space and doesn’t use plastic in its packaging. 60 sheets of Earth Breeze Laundry Detergent Sheets will cost you $15.99.
Madelyn Pattison says “Love these! So easy to use and so much less space taken up, and by an eco-friendly package! Can’t wait to order more.”
3. Biokleen Natural Laundry Detergent
This plant-based liquid detergent is free from artificial dyes, fragrances, phosphates, and other toxic chemicals. It’s also not tested on animals and it’s packaged in recycled materials. Get 64 loads of Biokleen Natural Laundry Detergent for $9.99.
K Wieland says “This detergent packs a real punch in a small package! I have a puppy who isn’t fully housebroken yet, and can’t believe how beautifully one capful cleans a double-sized load of smelly pee pads in a high-efficiency machine! Of course, a small amount of this detergent works wonders with regular human laundry, too:) This is the best detergent I have ever used—and I love the eco-friendly packaging!”
4. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent
This concentrated liquid formula is cruelty-free and biodegradable. It’s infused with lavender and has specific enzymes for fighting stains. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent costs $15.98.
Tonya McLouth says “I’ve been using Mrs. Meyers products for four years now, and this particular laundry detergent for three years. I love it, and not just for use on my toddler’s clothing and bedding. It removes 97% of the stains, it smells great, a little is all you need. One bottle of this typically lasts 2 to 3 months at our house. Great product!!!!”
5. Tru Earth Eco-Strips Laundry Detergent
These convenient eco-strips are paraben-free, phosphate-free, and vegan. The compostable packaging saves on carbon emissions and can clean loads with only a fraction of what would be used with other detergents. This Tru Earth Eco-Strips Laundry Detergent costs $16.95.
Julie Gilman says “Work great and what a savings on plastic and transportation costs. This is the only laundry detergent I use now.”
6. Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent
This formula has multiple enzymes which are especially useful against stains. It is free of fragrances, phosphate, and is even gluten-free. It’s also hypoallergenic and very efficient. Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent costs $13.99.
Candis Duke says “I am extremely sensitive to many many things. I became sensitive to my prior clear washing machine soap. So I tried several others and ended up with this one. Everyone is different and I don’t really know if one product is better than the other overall. But this product works for me. So it’s definitely worth a try if you have sensitivities.”
7. Miracle Made Liquidless Laundry Detergent Sheets
Chantal says “I hate those big plastic containers of detergent and fabric softener. This is a good alternative for detergent.”
8. Eco Me Laundry Detergent
This detergent is manufactured in America and has a lavender scent. It’s free of chemicals, sulfates and it’s not tested on animals. It’s made with natural ingredients that are safe for everyone, including pets. Eco Me Laundry Detergent costs $14.44.
Diane says “Really great concentrated clothing soap! Use on delicate as well as every day clothing. Wonderful scent..good for people with sensitive skin..found in warehouse.. excellent value!!”
9. Grab Green Stoneworks Natural Laundry Detergent Powder Pods
These pods are infused with the scent of an oak tree! They’re free of phosphates, chlorine, and dyes. The pods have excellent cleaning power and they help terminate odors. Grab Green Stoneworks Natural Laundry Detergent Powder Pods cost $12.99.
Green says “I almost don’t want to say how great this product is, since I want it to stay in stock. I really liked this scent (it is light and not too heavy) and have had no problems with the detergent pods in the washer, have seen no residue on clothes or allergies as this would work for sensitive skin, etc. I will be buying this again and I hopefully I never have to buy another brand ever again.”
10. ECOS Liquidless Laundry Detergent Squares
Here you’ll get a pack of two squares made from recyclable packaging. The formula was tested by a dermatologist to make sure it was hypoallergenic. It doesn’t contain any dyes, brighteners, parabens, or phosphates. ECOS Liquidless Laundry Detergent Squares cost $19.01.
L. Creed says “I just received these a week or so ago, but I do two loads of laundry a day, and so far I have been very pleased. I love that they are better for the environment due to lack of plastic packaging and less weight for shipping. So far they really do seem to be fragrance-free. I use two sheets for large loads and one sheet for small loads and my clothes are getting clean.”
- Unilever Debuts Paper-Based Laundry Detergent Bottle
- Never Buy Shampoo, Laundry Detergent or Soap Again Thanks to This All-Natural Nut
- DIY Laundry Detergent For Sensitive Skin
- 3 Easy, Money-Saving, Natural DIY Laundry Detergent Mixes
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!