Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In a groundbreaking move, the US and China, the world’s two largest polluters, have pledged to significantly boost renewable energy. This commitment comes ahead of the anticipated Biden-Xi summit at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation in San Francisco.
Source: Bloomberg Originals/YouTube
Despite ongoing geopolitical tensions, both nations have agreed to resume their working group on climate cooperation. This decision highlights a shared commitment to replace planet-warming fossil fuels with renewable energy sources, including wind, solar, and battery storage, by the end of 2030.
This collaboration aims to not only replace coal, oil, and gas but also Support the tripling of global renewable energy capacity. The commitment extends to economy-wide reductions of all greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, methane, and hydrofluorocarbons, aligning to keep the global temperature rise within 1.5 degrees Celsius.
This move marks a significant step for China, which has now officially stated its intent to control all greenhouse gas emissions, not just carbon dioxide. The focus is also shifting towards reducing methane emissions, which are significantly more potent than carbon dioxide.
As the world gears up for the COP28 climate conference in Dubai, this US-China agreement sets a positive precedent. However, the road ahead remains challenging, with critical issues like fossil fuel phase-out still requiring concerted global effort.
This monumental agreement between the US and China is a hopeful sign for the future of our planet, signaling a potential shift towards a more sustainable and climate-resilient world.
- Tripling Renewable Energy Capacity is a COP28 Priority
- 10 Renewable Energy Companies Leading the Way in 2023
- Accelerated Economic Recovery Linked to Renewable Energy, According to New Study
- China Leads Global Transition to Renewable Energy, Significantly Reducing Reliance on Coal
- Spain Was 100% Powered on Renewables for a Whole Day
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!