Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Ruben, the world’s loneliest lion, has finally found freedom after five years of silence in an abandoned Armenian zoo. Thanks to the relentless efforts of Animals Defenders International (ADI) and the generous Support of Qatar Airways Cargo, Ruben embarked on a remarkable journey that has led him to the ADI Wildlife Sanctuary (ADIWS) in Free State, South Africa, where his rehabilitation has begun.
Source: The Independent/YouTube
Ruben’s story is a poignant reminder of the dire consequences of neglect and isolation on these majestic creatures. He was the sole resident of a private zoo in Armenia that had closed its doors. While other animals were relocated to safer places, there was no room for Ruben, and he languished in a cramped concrete cell, his plaintive roars echoing unanswered into the empty void.
The turning point came when ADI and Qatar Airways Cargo joined forces to orchestrate a 5,200-mile journey for the 15-year-old Ruben. His arrival at ADIWS marked the beginning of his transformation, as he heard the voices of his kind for the first time in years. Gradually, his morning roars grew louder as he regained his confidence.
ADI President Jan Creamer explained, “His whole demeanor has transformed, his face is relaxed and no longer fearful. His determination to walk is inspiring. If he stumbles or falls he just picks himself up and keeps going. He is nothing short of heroic. Incredibly, in just a few days his movement is already improving. We know this will be a long road and will require ongoing veterinary treatment but the start of his new life could not have been better.”
Ruben’s journey to happiness faced a hurdle when ADI struggled to find a suitable flight for him out of Armenia. However, Qatar Airways Cargo’s ‘WeQare’ charity initiative came to the rescue, arranging a larger aircraft with hold doors spacious enough for Ruben’s crate. The airline even provided an air-conditioned truck to facilitate his transfer between aircraft at Doha. ADI’s President and Vice President, Jan Creamer and Tim Phillips, accompanied the lion to ensure his safety and well-being.
Elisabeth Oudkerk, SVP of Cargo Sales & Network Planning at Qatar Airways Cargo, expressed their commitment to wildlife preservation, saying, “We are committed to preserving wildlife and endangered species, that is why we launched our WeQare Chapter 2 initiative: ‘Rewild the Planet’ back in 2020. We pledged to return wildlife and endangered species to their natural habitat, free of charge and we will continue to do so.”
Ruben’s journey is a testament to his resilience, but years of confinement and malnutrition have taken their toll. Upon arrival, Ruben was sedated and examined by leading big cat veterinarian Dr. Peter Caldwell, who initiated a treatment plan. A special habitat at ADIWS with ramps and guardrails has been designed to aid his recuperation, though the road ahead is long.
Ruben’s determination to embrace his new life has been nothing short of inspiring. Despite wobbly hind legs and a lifetime of hardship, he eagerly stepped out of his travel crate and began playing with a giant catnip punchbag, his first toy in years.
- Former Circus Tigers, Sasha and Kumal, Run and Play for the First Time Ever [Video]
- Seven Rescue Lions Reach Their New Home in Animal Sanctuary
- Ukraine Lion in Severe Condition After Being Rescued From Russian Shelling
- Rescued Lions, Tigers, Bears, and Monkeys Celebrate Christmas! [Video]
- Lions Attacking Handlers: 10 Real Instances Proving the Risks of Captivity
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!