Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Alex Bowman, the talented NASCAR driver, is turning the old adage “dogs are man’s best friend” on its head. Bowman’s passion for racing is matched only by his love of animals. Now he’s combining those two passions while helping some furry friends along the way. Every time Bowman drives his #48 car onto the track, he makes a weekly donation of $4,800 to local animal shelters through Best Friends Animal Society. Together they have raised nearly $350,000 for homeless pets over the past few years.
Source: FOX8 WGHP/Youtube
One of the organizations supported by Bowman’s donations is the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department Animal Care and Control. The facility cares for between 200 and 300 animals at any given time. “Our kennels are full of animals waiting for a home, so financially I can’t even tell you how much this money helps. It goes directly to programs that are either in our care directly or on animals in the community,” said Melissa Knicely, CMPD Animal Care and Control.
Bowman fell in love with rescue animals from a young age. He rescued his best friend Roscoe when he was just 19 years old. Now Bowman’s mission is to fight for each animal and help it find its perfect match and be adopted. “The amount of rescued animals out there – it really doesn’t matter what you’re looking for. You can find it by saving,” said Bowman.
The first step in solving the problem is to spread the word. “When you have people like Alex spreading your message about adoption and the need to find homes for all these animals across the country, this is the best program because it not only talks about how special these animals are, but also visits animal shelters across the country and helps animals that are in the same situation as us,” said Knicely.
Although Bowman tries to win the race every time he steps onto the track, he’s also racing for a bigger cause. He knows that although his finish line leads to a trophy, the finish line of a rescued animal leads to an eternal home. “There are hundreds of thousands of pets out there that need homes, so rescuing them safely is definitely important,” said Bowman.
If Bowman wins, the rescue animals win too. Every time Bowman wins a race, an additional $10,000 is donated to the local animal shelter, which just gives him an extra boost to fight for the checkered flag. With each lap, Bowman is driving toward a better future for animals in need. His dedication to helping animals is both admirable and inspiring.
So what can we do to help? We can spread the word about the importance of adopting animals from shelters and supporting organizations like Best Friends Animal Society that are making a difference. We can also consider donating time or resources to local animal shelters or rescue organizations. Even small acts of kindness can make a big difference in the lives of these furry friends. By working together, we can make a positive impact on the world and create a better future for animals in need.
- Airbnb Co-Founder Donates $25 Million to Get Plastic Out of The Ocean
- Petition: Urge Logan Paul to Donate to Help Rescued Animals
- Kenny Chesney Donates Proceeds of New Song to Stray Rescue
- Patagonia Founder Donates Entire Company and His Fortune to Fight Climate Change
- Fans Donate to Animal Rescue to Honor Life of NFL Quarterback, Dwayne Haskins
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!