When it comes to making a superb baked doughnut, the end result needs to be light, fluffy, and pack an amazing flavor profile. These glazed watermelon doughnuts do just that. The doughnuts themselves are watermelon-flavored and their vibrant pink glaze uses a combination of watermelon and dragon fruit flavors to give these a delicious and summery flavor.
Watermelon Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 6-8 drops of liquid watermelon-flavored stevia
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
For the Dragon Fruit Glaze:
- 1/3 cup frozen dragon fruit, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 drops watermelon-flavored stevia
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and coat the 6 doughnut shells with coconut oil
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together coconut milk beverage (or almond milk), vinegar, stirring until curdled. Add watermelon stevia, coconut oil, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepared doughnut pans. Bake doughnuts for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown and baked through. Place onto a cooling rack.
To Make the Dragon Fruit Glaze:
- Combine powdered sugar ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- When doughnuts are mostly cool, dip tops into glaze to coat or drizzle over them. Dip/coat the doughnuts multiple times to achieve a darker color. wait for 2-3 minutes for them to set between dipping again. Let the batch set for 10-15 minutes. Doughnuts are best served right away or same day. If not serving doughnuts right away, wait to glaze until ready to enjoy.