Protein powders are a quick, convenient way to get a hefty dose of protein in a single serving. Many powders can simply be mixed with water, juice or a plant-based milk for a high-protein, on-the-go snack. But we can be more creative than that! Here are a few of our favorite ways to use protein powder:
- Protein powder makes an excellent addition to smoothies, as it helps balance out the natural fruit sugars and carbohydrates with some satiating protein.
- Protein powder is also a great way to add some plant-based protein to vegan balls, bites and bars. Skip the excess packaging, high price tag and mystery ingredients and make your own energy-packed snacks!
- You can also add protein powder to muffins, pancakes, cookies and other baked goods to boost protein content. Simply swap out part of the flour for protein powder!
- Stir it into oatmeal or other hot cereals after cooking, or even sprinkle some on top of your favorite natural cold cereal!
Lucky for all of us, there are now TONS of great vegan protein powders on the market. There are also plenty of gluten-free, soy-free options. Hemp, rice, pea, soy, and all types of blends…there’s sure to be one that works for you! Here are a few great options:
- Garden of Life has two lines of raw, vegan protein powder – Raw Protein and Raw Meal (also available in chocolate and vanilla). A serving contains 17 grams of complete protein from sprouted brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet, and other whole grains!
- Living Harvest Organic Hemp Protein Powder comes in a traditional original flavor, as well as more exotic varieties like chocolate chili and vanilla spice. These varieties contain between 10 and 13 grams of protein per serving, from organic, cold-milled hemp.
- Nutiva is also a great option for hemp protein powder. The company makes original and hi-fiber varieties of their regular protein powder, as well as an organic hemp shake in chocolate and vanilla flavors.
- NutriBiotic makes several great flavors of rice protein powder, including a couple of organic options.
- PlantFusion makes a soy-free protein powder blend comprised of pea, artichoke, sprouted amaranth and quinoa. It’s available in a handful of awesome flavors, including vanilla bean, berry, chocolate, and unflavored. Each serving has 22 grams of easily digested protein!
- Sun Warrior makes two great vegan protein powders – the Warrior Blend and the Classic Protein. The Blend is a soy-free mix of raw pea, cranberry, and hemp proteins, and comes in chocolate, vanilla, and natural flavors. The Classic protein powder is made from raw, sprouted brown rice, and comes in chocolate, vanilla, and natural flavors. Both varieties contain 16 grams of plant-based protein per serving, and are lightly sweetened with stevia, with no added sugars.
- Vega makes a couple of great high-protein powder products: the Vega Energizing Smoothie, and Vega One Nutritional Shake. The energizing smoothie contains 10 grams of complete, plant-based protein and 5 grams of fiber per serving, and comes in 5 tasty flavors. The Nutritional Shake contains 16 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber per serving, and comes in Berry, Chocolate, Vanilla Chai and Natural flavors.
Did we miss your favorite? Let us know in the comments section below or drop us a line!
Image Credit: Elizabeth Haslam/Flickr
This content provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.