Meals that can easily fit into your meal rotation are what I really love to share. As we can get a bit bored with the usual meals, it's nice to have more easy options that come together in a cinch. I love finding these simple dishes that truly work and can be made over and over again. That is what I share with you today. Nothing complicated in this recipe, everything is probably in your kitchen right now or you can find right away at your favorite grocery store. Eating vegan, healthy and tasty meals every day is really easy once you get the hang of it. This lovely chili is a one pot meal that is ready in under an hour. Leftovers hold up extremely well too! Bring on the chili...
Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or 1 1/2 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 onion, diced
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- A few dashes of garlic powder
- A few dashes of onion powder
- Himalayan salt, to taste
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- Avocado, cilantro and/or diced onion, for garnish
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, cook until soft and they start to turn brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for another minute or so.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover slightly ajar, reduce heat and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chili is ready when sweet potatoes are tender. Add additional water if chili is too thick for your liking.
- Serve with optional garnishes.