These secretly-healthy doughnuts look and taste like they came straight from the nearest Krispy Kreme:
(makes 6 doughnuts)
- 1 level cup spelt or white flour (or Arrowhead Mills gf mix)
- 2/3 cup milk of choice (almond, coconut, soy… don’t use ricemilk for this recipe)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar or evaporated cane juice
- 1/2 tsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Ener-g egg replacer powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp oil or pre-melted Earth Balance
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt (if using oil, add a tiny pinch more salt)
- Optional: sprinkles! Or cinnamon, raisins, peanuts, chocolate chips… be creative!
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine oil, milk, and vanilla. Then add the vinegar and immediately pour wet onto dry. Mix (but don’t overmix), and pour into greased doughnut pans. (If you don’t have doughnut pans, see below link) Cook for 12 minutes.
The above link also includes some un-edited photos, so you can see what the doughnuts look like in a non-photoshoot format.
Above, topped with Healthy Doughnut Glaze.