The unofficial start of summer is upon us! Let’s celebrate the warmer, longer days ahead with a veggie burger packed full of flavor and topped with homemade tahini sauce. In addition to being delicious, these Baked Broccoli Burgers are an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as iron, calcium, magnesium and beta-carotene.
Baked Broccoli Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
- 1/3 cup dry couscous
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sesame tahini
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Tahini Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup sesame tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small pot, bring the water and couscous to a boil.
- Remove from heat immediately and allow the couscous to sit in the pot for 10 minutes, soaking up the water.
- While the couscous sits, steam the broccoli in a steamer for 5-7 minutes (or use a microwave or stove method, you just want the broccoli to be soft in the end)
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add in the onion and scallions, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes until the onion softens.
- Remove the onions from the heat and stir in the cumin.
- Gather your couscous, broccoli, onion mix, chickpeas and sesame tahini and combine together in a food processor.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the bread crumbs.
- Form it into patties and place the patties on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes, turning the patties over halfway through. You’ll know they are done when the tops begin to brown.
- To make the tahini sauce, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined, roughly 30 seconds.
- Top your burgers with the sauce, throw some pickles, tomato and lettuce on there, and go to town!
Grilling option – To enjoy the burgers hot off the grill, first bake them in the oven, then move to the grill for 1-2 minutes on each side.