I love a good and quick meal, and this burger fits the bill perfectly. For a 100% plastic-free meal, buy the buns from your local bakery or bake some yourself! Homemade bread is delicious. This recipe is featured in The Happy Herbivore Cookbook.
Plastic-Free, Oil-Free Vegan Black Bean Burgers
This Recipe is :
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
- instant oats
- whole-wheat buns
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pulse beans in a food processor until mashed well or alternatively, mash with a fork.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with cilantro and spices.
- Add oats as necessary until the mixture can be handled and isn’t terribly sticky, about 1/4 c.
- If after 1/4 c. it’s still too sticky, refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Shape mixture into 3 patties. Lightly spray with cooking spray (optional) and bake 7 minutes.
- Flip and re-spray (optional) and bake another 7 to 10 minutes until thoroughly warm and crisp on the outside.
- Serve immediately.