This tempeh Reuben has all the flavors of the original sandwich — plus, it's oil-free, including the dressing. Tempeh is marinated in a combination of apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, a drizzle of maple syrup, and liquid smoke – if you want it smoky. The creamy, tangy French dressing is made by blending cashews with tomato paste, relish, and onions. Serve on toasted rye bread and enjoy each and every tangy, savory bite of this awesome sandwich.
Tempeh Reuben [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tempeh:
- 1 8-ounce block gluten-free tempeh
- Apple cider vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Maple syrup, to taste
- Liquid smoke (optional)
For the French Dressing:
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in water for at least 10 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- A few turns fresh cracked black pepper
- Bread of your choice
- Avocado, sliced
To Make the Tempeh:
- Make a simple marinade of apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and a little maple syrup. You can also add a couple drops of liquid smoke, if desired. Amounts will vary depending on the size of your container — you want just enough to cover your tempeh.
- Slice your tempeh into thin-ish slabs and marinate them overnight in the fridge. Make sure you make enough marinade to cover the tempeh. If the marinade almost covers the tempeh, just add a little water. You can keep the marinade and use it several times, so it goes a long way.
- After the tempeh has marinated overnight, bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.
To Make the French Dressing:
- Drain the water from the cashews and place the cashews, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and water in the blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the dressing in a mixing bowl and add the relish, onion, and black pepper.
- Stir until combined and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, assemble the sandwich to your liking.