This is a great dessert to put together when your cupboards are looking a little bare and you're craving something homey and comforting. Crumble-making is so much more relaxed than pie-making (no need to roll out a crust!), so you can have juicy spiced pears topped with a nutty oat crumble in no time at all! Topping your serving with a couple of generous scoops of vegan vanilla ice cream is highly recommended and encouraged.
Pecan Pear Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Pecan Pear Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 ripe Bartlett pears, cored and chopped
- 1/4 large lemon, juiced
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- Maple syrup (optional)
How to Prepare Pecan Pear Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease/spray a tart pan or 8×8-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl toss pears, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar to coat. Pour pear mixture into baking dish. Using the same bowl (don’t worry about cleaning it), add oats, pecans, almond flour, remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar, and baking powder. Stir to combine. Using your fingers, pinch and crumble the solid coconut oil and mix until incorporated with oat mixture. Pour oat mixture on top of pears and spread into an even layer.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until oat topping is firm and browned.
- Serve warm with multiple scoops of vegan vanilla ice cream.
Optional, with 10 minutes remaining lightly drizzle a small amount of maple syrup over top of the crumble, and continue baking until done. If you would prefer to add pecans to your pear mixture instead of the crumble topping (like I do) add pecans to the pear mixture and stir. In addition, add an extra 1/4 cup of oats to your topping, equaling 1 cup total. The optional maple syrup is just for extra sweetness and it tastes wonderful with the caramelized crumble topping. Crumble can be reheated in the oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes and enjoyed warm again.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.