The hot and sour flavors of tom yum soup will brighten up your chilly rainy days and warm you more than any sweater or blanket ever could! Traditionally, the soup is made with shrimp; however, Oyster mushrooms provide the same seafood-y and umami flavor in this vegan version. Toss in your favorite noodles and you've got a cozy, flavorful meal that can't be beat.
Oyster Mushroom Tom Yum Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Soup:
- 17.6 ounces Oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
For the Broth:
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons each of garlic and onion powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cups raw greens (kale, spinach, chard, and collards)
- Handful of dry noodles of your choice (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, basil, mint to garnish (some or all)
- Sauté the first six ingredients in a couple glugs of olive and sesame oil. Cook until they begin to brown.
- Combine all of the broth ingredients and add them to the pot. Allow them to simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and dry noodles.
- Simmer on low for about 10 minutes until the noodles are tender. Serve with extra herbs, lime, Sriracha, and chopsticks.