These cupcakes are moist and sweet, with a hint of warming ginger and zesty orange. They are topped with a smooth frosting made from Medjool dates and sprinkled with orange zest for color and extra flavor. Instead of refined sugar, the cupcakes are sweetened with blackstrap molasses!
Orange-Ginger Cupcakes With a Spiced Date Frosting [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Orange-Ginger Cupcakes With a Spiced Date Frosting [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted (roughly 9 dates)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 cup water, depending on how dry the dates are
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- A pinch nutmeg
- A pinch cardamom
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, for topping
How to Prepare Orange-Ginger Cupcakes With a Spiced Date Frosting [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners.
- Grind chia seeds and add water. Mix and set aside to for 5 minutes to make the "chia egg."
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix molasses, melted coconut oil, almond milk, chia eggs, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into muffin liners until 3/4 full and bake the cupcakes for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before frosting, then sprinkle with orange zest.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Smooth over the cupcakes once they have cooled.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.