These cupcakes are moist and sweet, with a hint of warming ginger and zesty orange. They are topped with a smooth frosting made from Medjool dates and sprinkled with orange zest for color and extra flavor. Instead of refined sugar, the cupcakes are sweetened with blackstrap molasses!
Orange-Ginger Cupcakes With a Spiced Date Frosting [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted (roughly 9 dates)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 cup water, depending on how dry the dates are
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- A pinch nutmeg
- A pinch cardamom
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners.
- Grind chia seeds and add water. Mix and set aside to for 5 minutes to make the "chia egg."
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix molasses, melted coconut oil, almond milk, chia eggs, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into muffin liners until 3/4 full and bake the cupcakes for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before frosting, then sprinkle with orange zest.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Smooth over the cupcakes once they have cooled.