Mushrooms are filling, easy to make flavorful and packed with nutrients. They are also one of the most nutritional foods that you can consume on this planet. Some of the nutritional benefits of mushrooms are: boosts the immune systems with powerful antioxidants, high in selenium, helps you to absorb calcium and iron with its high Vitamin D content, lowers blood pressure and so much more.
Mushroom Bourguignon with Mashed Potatoes [Vegan]
For the Mushroom Bourguignon:
- Olive Oil for sautéing
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 diced garlic cloves
- 4 medium-sized carrots diced large (I used organic rainbow carrots
- 4-5 stalks of celery
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds diced brown cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup kombucha (use brandy or red wine instead if you drink alcohol)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh or dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons sugar-free tomato paste
- 1 slither of scotch Bonney pepper, seeds removed, diced very tiny
- 2 tablespoons spelt or gluten-free flour (mixed in 5 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (optional but helps with creaminess)
- Lots of steamed kale (not much is pictured here but best believe I added more to my plate)
- 5 fresh basil leaves sliced thinly (not pictured here but would be a lovely addition)
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 10 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (I used cashew milk)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil based vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 1/2 -2 teaspoons pink Himalayan salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked cayenne
- black pepper to taste
- Put your potatoes to boil or steam for 15-20 minutes in a large pot
- In a separate pot, turn the fire to a medium flame and add olive oil to the pan. Add your onions, garlic and a little salt. Sauté for 3-4 minutes then add your carrots and celery.
- After another 3-4 minutes add garlic powder, the bay leaf, kombucha or brandy, vegetable broth, tamari, thyme, tomato paste and scotch bonnet pepper to the pan then sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add your mushrooms, spelt or gluten-free flour + water mixture, water and coconut milk to the pot. The water should cover the food (about 1 cup).
- Simmer for 6-8 minutes (be careful not to overcook it, mushrooms cook fast).
- Drain your potatoes in a colander then put them back into the pot.
- Add your plant-based milk, salt, vegan butter, and all the spices to the potatoes. Mash and mix them well with a potato masher.
- Serve your mashed potatoes and mushroom bourguignon topped with small strips of steamed kale and fresh basil.