With potatoes, a blend of Indian spices, and peas as a garnish, these Indian mashed potatoes are kind of like a deconstructed samosa. Red potatoes are mashed with onion, cumin, mustard seeds, coriander, and turmeric. Then, they're topped with a curry-inspired gravy made from tomatoes, coconut milk, and even more spices. Serve these Indian mashed potatoes with steamed vegetables and naan. It’s a wonderfully filling and flavorful meal.
Indian Golden Mashed Potatoes With Curried Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2.2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 13.66-ounce can of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 slice of onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- Frozen peas, for garnish
- Peel, chop, boil, and drain potatoes.
- Sauté a chopped slice of onion in 1 tablespoon oil with a dash of salt.
- Once onion starts to soften, add 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 teaspoon mustard seed. After a couple minutes, add a second tablespoon of oil then 1 tablespoon coriander powder and 1 teaspoon turmeric. Mix well and take off heat.
- Mash the potatoes and add the spiced oil and onion to the potatoes. Mix well. Add salt to taste.
- In a small pot, add a can of coconut milk and 1/3 cup of tomato sauce. Mix in 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon fenugreek, and 1 teaspoon coriander powder. Mix well and salt to taste.
- Pour curry gravy on mashed potatoes and top with warm green peas.