These hot chocolate cupcakes have a chocolate sponge cake filled with a chocolate sauce, with a bulb of vanilla buttercream, topped with vegan marshmallows and a drizzle of dark chocolate. These cupcakes are a cozy treat which are quick & easy to make!
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 1 cup of dairy-free milk (this recipe used almond)
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 2/3 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 cup of golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cacao/cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (Melted)
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Dairy-free milk (if needed)
- Vegan marshmallows
- Dark chocolate
- Cacao powder
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan 'buttermilk'.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cacao/cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the 'buttermilk' and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting.
- Cream the butter in a bowl, on a high speed until creamy.
- When your butter/margarine is creamy & light in color, add in the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Whizz together until fluffy & fully combined. Add a splash of dairy-free milk if too thick.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle.Core the cupcakes and fill with some vegan chocolate sauce (optional).
- Pipe a bulb of buttercream onto each cupcake.
- Decorate with marshmallows, a sprinkle of cacao/cocoa powder and chocolate sauce.
Serve these cupcakes fresh or store in a sealed container in or out of the fridge, the buttercream will firm up at room temperature. Best eaten within a few days.