Some time ago I came up with this super yummy hazelnut cream. It is a seriously delicious treat that is not only vegan, gluten-free, free of processed sugar and starches but it also takes only 5 ingredients to make!
Hazelnut Chocolate Parfait [Vegan]
For the Hazelnut Cream:
- 1 cup (150g) hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup (70g) dates
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
For the Chocolate Cream:
- 1/4 cup (35g) dates
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder or cacao powder if you like it raw
- Make sure you soak the dates in the water, this way they will be easier to blend.
- Heat a medium sized non-stick frying pan with a thick bottom and roast the hazelnuts for a few minutes, stirring constantly. When the hazelnuts' skin starts to crack and peel, take the pan off the stove and let cool down a little. Set a few hazelnuts aside for decorating. Then rub the skin off the remaining hazelnuts either with your (clean) fingers or by putting them into a clean dish towel and rubbing them vigorously together.
- Put hazelnuts, 1/2 cup dates, 1 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons coconut oil into a high-speed blender and blend to a fine cream. I like to make smaller amounts like the chocolate sauce in my small blender. So again, blend 1/4 cup dates, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup cocoa powder to a fine cream.
- Pour the hazelnut cream and chocolate cream in layers into the dessert glasses. Chop the remaining few hazelnuts roughly and sprinkle them over the parfaits.