This sauce goes great on your favorite plant-based protein and veggies!
General Tso’s Sauce [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons vinegar (rice, rice wine, apple cider, or white)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (can substitute tamari, dark soy, or low sodium)
- 3 tablespoons water or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons sugar (can substitute agave, maple syrup, or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch (can substitute arrowroot)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Sesame Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (or to taste)
- Scallions, sliced (for topping)
- Crushed red pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients EXCEPT garlic, ginger, and oil. In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add oil and simmer garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes (be careful not to burn garlic). Pour sauce mixture into saucepan and simmer until it begins to thicken, about 1-3 minutes.
- Add any optional ingredients and enjoy over your favorite plant-based protein (we love fried tofu!), rice, and broccoli for that Chinese take-out experience without the regret (or cost!)!
NOTES: You can use dried garlic and ginger powder in place of fresh, but the end results won’t have the same pop. If you're using garlic and ginger powder, you can simply add all ingredients in your bowl (including 1 tablespoon vegetable oil), whisk, and then simmer in small saucepan.