French onion soup is a classic, and this vegan version is just as delicious and satisfying as the original. Caramelized onions simmered in a rich broth with a piece of cheesy toast on top? Absolutely delightful.
French Onion Soup With Cheese Toasts [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 4 brown onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 8 slices of crusty baguette
To Make the Soup:
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Heat the oil over a low heat in a saucepan, add the onions.
- Fry gently, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until caramelized.
- Add the remaining ingredients, turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and serve with cheese toasts.
To Make the Cheese Toasts:
- Blend all cheese toast ingredients (except baguette slices) in a high-speed blender.
- When smooth, transfer to a small saucepan.
- Heat over a medium heat, constantly stirring, until it begins to thicken. This will take only a few minutes.
- When the cheese is thick like melted cheese, remove from the heat.
- Preheat the grill/broil.
- Spread the cheese over the baguette slices and place on a baking tray.
- Grill for a few minutes, until the cheese starts to brown.
- Serve with the soup immediately.