Here’s a great twist on finger foods: eggplant fries. Delicious, healthy eggplant made even more delicious and a bit less healthy by breading and frying it into yummy fries. I used chickpea flour (my favorite flour) mixed with a little cornstarch to ensure a crunchy layer protecting the eggplant. Ground flaxseed mixed with water works as a binder for the breading. Any bread crumbs will do. I used gluten-free bread crumbs but if you’re not worried about gluten, go for panko. Spices are added in both layers for lots of flavor. Eggplant really soaks up oil so I try to use as little as necessary. You could deep-fry these but on the other extreme, you could also bake them. I like the middle road of pan-frying. I make a very fast marinara sauce by cooking up some crushed tomatoes with garlic powder, salt, dried basil, dried oregano, black pepper, and a pinch of red chile flakes. It’s done in 15 minutes! My Eggplant Fries are addictive! Creamy, decadent eggplant surrounded by an Italian-flavored crunchy coating. When dipped into marinara sauce, you swear you’re eating eggplant parmigiana. If you’re having company, double the recipe because these will not last long!
Eggplant Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Eggplant Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 eggplant, peeled
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseed + 6 Tbs. water
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (or vegan grated parmesean)
- Canola oil for frying
How to Prepare Eggplant Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Cut the eggplant into large fries. The easiest way to do this is to cut the ends off the eggplant, peel it, then stand it up. Slice the eggplant length-wise into 1/2″ pieces. Then lay each piece down and cut it into 1/2″ strips. If you want your fries long, leave them like this. If you want them shorter, cut those strips in half.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, and spices in a shallow dish. Mix the flaxseed and water into a loose paste. Add it to the milk in a second shallow bowl. Add the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast (or grated parm), salt and pepper to the third shallow bowl.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a pan or skillet. Toss eggplant in the flour mixture, then dip in the milk/flax mixture, then into the bread crumbs.
- Fry the eggplant until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a towel-paper lined plate. Serve with marinara sauce. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total (before added calories from frying) Calories: 905 | Total Carbs: 151 g | Total Fat: 12 g | Total Protein: 41 g | Total Sodium: 520 mg | Total Sugar: 21 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.