These healthy homemade gyoza, or Japanese dumplings, are full of protein and edamame goodness! They are filled with edamame, butternut squash, and smooth silken tofu and then boiled and pan fried until golden. Serve with soy sauce for a savory and fun-to-eat treat.
Edamame and Butternut Squash Gyoza [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 1/5 cups fresh or thawed edamame, shelled
- 3/4 cup corn
- 3 1/4 cups textured vegetarian protein, diced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Shiitake mushroom seasoning
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 of 1 14-ounce package of silken tofu
- 1 pack of gyoza dumpling wrapper
- 1 tablespoon oil, for pan-frying
- 3/4 cup water
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Chili sauce, to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil at medium heat in frying pan.
- Add butternut squash, edamame, corn, textured vegetable protein (optional) and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add salt, Shiitake mushroom seasoning, pepper, sesame oil, and soy sauce, and stir-fry for another minute.
- Add tofu and mash with fork into the rest of the ingredients. For a smoother texture, you can transfer all the ingredients along with the tofu into a food processor and pulse a few times to dice it up a little (optional).
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling onto center of a gyoza wrapper. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half, pleat, and press to enclose the filling into a pleated crescent shape.
- Place the finished dumplings on a plate lined with cling wrap (to avoid the bottom sticking to the plate).
- Mix some soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chili sauce in a small bowl to create dipping sauce.
- Heat up non-stick pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the dumpling one at a time, placing the sealed edges up.
- Fry the dumplings until golden brown at the bottom.
- Add 3/4 cup water into the pan and cover it immediately. Let the water bubble dry for about 5 minutes. After the water is gone, remove the lid, and fry for another minute until the bottoms are brown and crisp.
- Remove and serve immediately with dipping sauce.