They’re hearty and filling, yet loaded with cool-weather seasonings like turmeric, cumin, and ginger. But perhaps best of all, they’re easy to make and loaded with nutrition. These Vegan Lentil Curry Stuffed Sweet Potatoes make for a great weeknight meal - easy to make and full of flavor, yet hearty and healthy!
Curried Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve with tortilla chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F, wash sweet potatoes and prick multiple times with fork all over. Add to baking sheet and bake 40-45 minutes or until flesh is fully cooked and very soft.
- While sweet potatoes cook, add 3/4 cups lentils to saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water, cover with a lid and bring to boil, then simmer until cooked through. (Cook according to the length of time on packaging, some cook in 15-20 minutes, others require more like 35-40 minutes). Remove from heat once cooked.
- Meanwhile, add coconut oil, chopped onions and garlic to large saucepan, cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, add chopped bell pepper and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes or until onions and garlic begin to golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, almond milk, and all seasonings and simmer on low for five minutes.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked through, cut the skin off the top of each then use a fork to break apart and mash the cooked flesh.
- Top each sweet potato with 1/6 lentil curry mixture. Garnish with fresh herbs, serve hot.
- Sweet Potato