In addition to chickpeas; the ingredients of chana masala are usually onion, garlic, chili, ginger, chopped tomatoes, coriander seeds, fresh coriander, amchoor which is dried mango powder, dried pomegranate seeds, and garam masala.
Curried Chickpeas (Chana Masala) [Vegan]
To Get Started:
- 4 teaspoons rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, optional
For the Curry Paste:
- 3.5 tablespoons garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons ginger peeled and sliced
- 3 each green chili, sliced
- .5 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
Spices You will Need:
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon amchoor powder
- 2 cups cherry tomato, cut in half
To Make the Paste:
- Add the sliced garlic, ginger, chili, salt, and lemon juice to mortar and pestle or blender, blitz until smooth.
To Make the Chana Masala:
- Add the oil to large frying pan or saucepan.
- Heat the pan, add the mustard and cumin seeds. Toast gently for 30 seconds until fragrant and the mustard seeds start popping.
- Add the finely diced onions and optional baking soda (this helps with the caramelization).
- Stir well, after 3-4 minutes the onions should be a nice golden color.
- Add the paste of garlic, ginger, and chili followed by the turmeric, coriander, amchoor, and garam masala.
- Cook our for 2-3 minutes gently, add a splash of water if it is looking a little dry.
- Next, add the cherry tomato (cut them in half first so they cook down easily) and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now, add the cooked chickpeas and water.
- Bring to a gentle boil, cover with a saucepan lid or tin foil to keep all the juicy flavor in the chana masala.
- Cook low & slow for about 20-30 minutes, keep stirring regularly so the bottom does not catch.
To Finish Chana Masala:
- Season to taste with a little lemon juice, pink salt, and chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.
- Happy days, this is a fantastic recipe to add to your Arsenal!