Mashed chickpea salad is a wonderfully nutritious and filling dish that is a breeze to make and incredibly versatile. This particular garbanzo salad is made with tangy red onion, spicy jalapeño, creamy avocado, and fresh lime juice. This mixture is the perfect toasted sandwich filling and creative salad topper.
Chickpea Jalapeño Salad [Vegan]
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeño, seeds removed
- 1 medium avocado
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place drained chickpeas in a medium bowl and mash them using the back of a fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks.
- Slice avocado, then scoop it out using a large spoon and place in a small bowl. Squeeze lime juice over the avocado and mash using the back of a fork, then add to the chickpeas.
- Add onions, jalapeño, and cilantro, then stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a sandwich or on a salad.