This cheesy cashew cream pasta tastes indulgent but is actually great for you! The complex carbohydrates will supply you with long-lasting energy, and the cashew cream is a great cheese alternative. Pair this pasta with a simple spinach side salad, or throw in some veggies for extra green!
Cheesy Cashew Cream Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 3/4 vegetable broth
- 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs, dry or fresh
- 1 cup gluten-free pasta, uncooked
- First things first, you want to make sure your raw cashews have been soaking for at least 2 hours.
- Next, peel and finely slice your onion. In a medium frying pan on a medium heat, add the coconut oil, and when hot, add the onions.
- While the onions are sautéeing, finely dice the garlic and add that and the mixed herbs to the sautéeing onions.
- Boil the kettle, and place the half veggie stock cube in a mug, add 3/4 cup boiling water, and allow to dissolve.
- Once the onions are nicely browned, remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Next, drain and rinse the cashews, and add to your blender.
- Add the dissolved veggie stock water, along with the onion mixture.
- Lastly add the nutritional yeast, and blend until a thick creamy sauce forms. If yours is a bit thick, gradually add a little warm water until you're happy with the consistency.
- Next, add the remaining hot water from the kettle to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Add the pasta with a pinch of salt and allow to cook for approx 13 minutes, or as per instructions on the packet. Keep an eye on it as not to overflow.
- When soft, remove, drain, and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking any further and turning to mush.
- Put it back into the pot and place back onto the warm plate you were just cooking on, add the cheese sauce and mix until each pasta piece is thoroughly coated in the deliciously creamy sauce. When the mixture is warm, serve with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and mixed herbs.