This Cashew Cheese Spread is perfect for pizza bases and grilled sandwiches! You can also blend it up with a little warm plant-based milk and adjust the seasoning to use as a dip or make a cheese sauce for baked/grilled veggies or pasta. It's such a crowd-pleaser and will impress vegans and non-vegans alike.
Cashew Cheese Spread [Vegan]
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 4-5 hours
- 2 cups of water
- 2 slightly heaped tablespoon cornflour
- 1 heaped tablespoon nutritional yeast extract
- 1-2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (ACV)/lemon juice (adjust according to taste)
- 1-2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 heaped teaspoon mustard paste
- A small pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper powder, to taste
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- Blend the soaked cashews, garlic, cornflour, mustard paste, nutritional yeast extract, and turmeric powder with 1 cup of water into a smooth paste. Add another cup of water and blend again.
- Cook the mixture on low-medium heat for 8-10 minutes stirring frequently until it becomes thick and bubbly. The “raw” smell of cornflour should be gone. Turn off the heat.
- Once the “cheese” mixture has cooled down to room temperate, transfer it to a mixer jar and add 1 tablespoon ACV, salt to taste, pepper powder, and Italian seasoning (optional). Blend on high for a few seconds until smooth. Taste and add more ACV and salt as required.
For best results, it’s recommended that you use ACV. Otherwise, substitute with lemon juice. Add a pinch of red chilli powder to make it spicier. This spreadable cashew cheese tastes good on vegan pizzas and grilled sandwiches! You can also spread some on a toast and top with fresh veggies to make a hearty open sandwich. Try using tapioca starch instead of corn flour for a “stretchy” texture. Store in the fridge for up to ten days in an airtight container. Can also be frozen in a block and grated over pizzas before they go into the oven.