These scones have a delightful fruity twist; persimmon! Also blended to create a decadent maple-persimmon cream, these scones are a great breakfast treat!
Cardamom Persimmon Scones With Maple-Persimmon Cream [Vegan]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons softened coconut oil
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt (or any yogurt of choice)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (if using vegan yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ripe Fuyu persimmons chopped
For the Maple Cream:
- 1/2 cup chopped persimmons
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Scones:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or leave bare.
Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
With a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the coconut oil into the mix.
Whisk together the yogurt, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir them in with a wooden spoon until the mixture looks well combined. Careful not to over mix.
Gently fold in the chopped persimmons with the wooden spoon.
Flour a flat surface such as a cutting board or counter. Form the dough into a circle about 1 and 1/2-inches high. Cut into 8 wedges and separate.
Carefully transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet.
Bake at 400°F for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
For the Cream:
- Blend together all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Serve with warm scones or store in fridge for up to 3 days.