It’s summer (almost) and summer makes ones thoughts turn to all thing BBQ. Even though I make my BBQ dishes indoors, I still love when they taste spicy, smoky and decadent. That's exactly why I’m combining my two loves for this dish – BBQ sauce and Buffalo sauce and making one fantastic, knock-your-socks-off sauce.
Buffalo BBQ Chicken [Vegan]
For the Buffalo BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the dish:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces gluten-free vegan chicken strips (un-breaded) (or if gluten is not a concern, you could use seitan cut into strips)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
To make the Buffalo BBQ Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes until thickened. Taste for any seasoning adjustments. Keep warm until needed.
To make the Buffalo BBQ “Chicken”:
- In a small bowl, combine the herbs and spices. Rub the spice mix over the chicken strips.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken strips until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Pour some of the BBQ sauce into the pan and toss to coat the chicken strips in the sauce. Let the strips cook a few minutes until the BBQ sauce starts to caramelize.
- Serve with extra BBQ sauce and your favorite sides.
- Buffalo Sauce