Cooking fresh artichokes may seem intimidating, but it is surprisingly easy to prepare them. These artichokes are cooked in a flavorful mixture of tomatoes, olives, garlic, and herbs for a burst of freshness.
Excerpted from The Everything® Mediterranean Instant Pot® Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Artichokes Provençal [Vegan]
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 medium lemon, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Run artichokes under running water, making sure water runs between leaves to flush out any debris. Slice off top 1⁄3 of artichoke, trim stem, and pull away any tough outer leaves. Rub all cut surfaces with lemon.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and heat oil. Add onion and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, basil, and thyme, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and olives and gently mix, then add wine and water and cook for 30 seconds. Press the Cancel button, then add artichokes cut side down to the Instant Pot.
- Close lid, set steam release to Sealing, press the Manual button, and set time to 5 minutes. When the timer beeps, quick-release the pressure until the float valve drops. Open lid and transfer artichokes to a serving platter. Pour sauce over top, then season with salt and pepper.