These black bean meatballs are full of umami flavor and protein! They are paired with a creamy sweet yet savory tomato and coconut milk based sauce that has a surprising crunch from cashews and carrots with bursts of sweetness from the raisins. Serve this recipe over a bed of rice or your grain of choice and you've got a showstopper on your hands.
Albónidigas: Black Bean Meatballs With Tomato Coconut Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Meatballs:
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 2 teaspoons dried wakame seaweed
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- A pinch of pepper
- Gluten-free bread crumbs
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- Chop the onion, pepper, and the garlic. Grate the carrot. Heat a frying pan with oil and sauté the vegetables until soft.
- Grind the oats in a food processor or blender until a flour is formed. It does not need to be very fine.
- Process the black beans.
- In a large bowl mix the vegetables, oats, rice, and beans. Add the mustard, wakame seaweed, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Form balls with your hands and roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry the meatballs on all sides until they brown a little.
- In a saucepan, combine the tomato, coconut milk, curry, and salt and bring to a boil. Add chopped carrots, cashews, and raisins. Cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes until the sauce is slightly reduced and the carrot is cooked.
- Serve the meatballs with the sauce.