Welcome Green Monsters! We're your online guide to making conscious choices that help people, animals and the planet.
Download food monster: the biggest, baddest, yummiest vegan food app!
Buy the #EatForThePlanet book
single

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR Newsletter

  GET FOOD MONSTER AppX

Buzz Petition

The adorable Koala joins the Kangaroo on the list of Australia’s endangered animals. In fact, scientists believe if serious measures aren’t taken immediately, the Koala may become extinct during our lifetime. If a world absent of these treasured animals scares you, you’re not alone. The Care2 Petition team has launched a petition addressing the Queensland government, where thousands of Koalas are dying due to habitat loss.

In just a four year span, from 2012 to 2016, 5,000 innocent Koalas lost their lives because of deforestation. Sure, urban development plays a big part in the problem, but believe it or not, most of the tragedy has been happening in Queensland’s countryside. This is where massive deforestation occurs for agricultural and mining purposes. In turn, this destroys the Koala’s main food source, eucalyptus.

According to the Australian Koala Foundation, “Since European settlement, approximately 80 percent of Australia’s eucalypt forests have been cleared. Of the remaining 20 percent, almost none is protected and most occur on privately-owned land.”

As if the Koala didn’t have enough to deal with, the one entity that could make the biggest immediate impact in saving the beloved animal, has been slow in passing serious laws to protect them. The time is long overdue for the Queensland government to show they care about protecting vital habitats. Signing the petition will send a sense of urgency to authorities and implore the new Premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, to take action before more innocent lives are lost. New laws need to be passed immediately to set restrictions on clearing the Koala’s forests!

If you’d like to help in preserving Australia’s adored Koala,  you can support foundations that promote koala conservation like the Conservation Center of Cape Otway, the Australian Koala Foundation, and the National Koala Conservation and Management Strategy. You can also virtually adopt your own koala here or plant a tree to preserve their homes here.

Buzz Petition

Image Source: Unsplash/ Enrico Carcasci

Want to read more posts like this? Sign up for our newsletter below!​

Browse through some recent posts below:

Victory! New York Court Struck Down Mega-Dairy Permit That Would Enable Massive Amounts of Waste to Enter Waterways

Ellen Pompeo Goes Plant-Based With Her Family Because ‘It Helps Us,’ and ‘It Helps the Planet’

Starbucks to Replace Plastic Straws With Biodegradable Paper in UK Locations

Microplastics From Great Pacific Garbage Patch Found in Arctic Sea Ice … Are You Ready to Ditch Plastic Now?


Disclosure: One Green Planet accepts advertising, sponsorship, affiliate links and other forms of compensation, which may or may not influence the advertising content, topics or articles written on this site. Click here for more information.

0 comments on “5,000 Koalas Lose Their Lives Every Year Because of Deforestation – Let’s Help Save Them!”

Click to add comment
John PASQUA
9 Days ago

NEED TO DO MORE FOR THE GREAT KOALAS NOW BY SAVING THEIR HOME FROM THIS . SIGNED.


Reply
Elizabeth
9 Days ago

This is a serious thought, San Francisco is inundated with Eucalyptus trees due to being brought here for ornamental purposes years ago. Can\'t we have ambassador Koala\'s brought here to live in some of the more secluded open areas and have them feast on these trees? We plan to cut them down to open up the areas when they could easily be feeding grounds for Koalas.


Reply


Subscribe to our Newsletter




Follow us on


Do Not Show This Again

×

Submit to OneGreenPlanet


Terms & Conditions ×
  GET FOOD MONSTER APPX