Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A study published in Live Science was conducted to uncover the reason why primates carry around their dead infants. This is a distressing behavior where primate mothers will continue to treat the infant as though it were alive, even as it is decomposing.
Source: National Geographic/Youtube
Researchers conducted an analysis of over 400 cases where this behavior was observed over the span of 50 primate species. The data showed the researchers that the age of the mother and child could have something to do with these behaviors. The researchers also found that great apes carried around their dead infants the longest. Some were found to do so for as long as several months.
The researchers discovered that this behavior could have several reasons behind it, such as the death not being obvious to the mother or her being too young to understand death. Other reasons also included that this was a grief response and a way to cope with the stress of losing the infant. Many primates that don’t carry their dead infants still show very human-like signs of grief, such as mourning over the body and revisiting the body after death.
This is just one behavior that shows just how emotionally developed these creatures are. Primates also mourn over loss, similarly to how a human would.
Another study showcasing the amazing abilities of primates found that chimps and bonobos can signal “hello” and “goodbye” to one another in social situations. This unique behavior is the first time it has ever been discovered outside of human interactions, but it makes sense since apes share 99 percent of our DNA. How amazing is that??
- Pig Mourning Loss of Close Friend Is a Touching Reminder of How Emotionally Intelligent These Animals Are (VIDEO)
- Are We That Different? The Heartbreaking Truth About How Animals Mourn
- Wild Elephants Mourn Death of Elephant Whisperer
- Cries of Mourning Dairy Cows Prompt Calls to Police
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!