Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Mia Foundation is a rescue organization in Rochester, New York, that helps give animals with birth defects a chance at a good life. Over a year ago, they took in a pigeon named Herman, who suffered neurological damage and can’t fly. Well, recently, Herman got the best bud when a puppy with a similar defect arrived. Lundy is a newborn Chihuahua puppy who is unable to use his back legs.
Sue Rogers, the founder, doesn’t give up on special needs animals like Herman and Lundy. In fact, when Herman was found, and it was discovered that he couldn’t fly, it was recommended that he be euthanized. But instead, she decided she would care for him for the rest of his life. And he is one happy pigeon, especially with his new best friend.
As Rogers explains in the video above, she needed to put both Herman and Lundy down for a minute, so she put them on the same dog bed and when she look at them again, they were cuddling. She snapped some photos and posted them online where they stole the hearts of people around the world.
The Mia Foundation was overwhelmed with messages of love and Support, inquiries to adopt Lundy and donations that can help cover the costs of some of the expensive surgeries needed by the animals she cares for. In just two days, they received $6,000 in donations.
Just like everyone else who sees these adorable photos, we are touched by the sweet friendship that has grown between these two little guys. Despite the difference in species and their special needs, they are able to comfort one another and send a positive message of love, hope, and friendship.
To read more stories about unlikely friendships that transcend species, check out:
- Friend Trio of Two Dogs and a Goat Play All Night
- This Adorable Dog and Duck are Best Friends
- Deer Plays With Family Dog in Front Yard
- Dog and Calf Playing Together Prove that Cows Aren’t So Different From Dogs
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!