Buy the #EatForThePlanet book

Pet homelessness and abandonment is a serious problem all around the world. Here in the U.S., animal shelters euthanize 5,500 animals every single day, often for lack of space or ailments that are treatable.

The above video features a smart, well-trained, and gentle dog at the Wichita, Kansas Animal Shelter who is set to be euthanized in a few days for kennel cough, an easily treatable condition. An out-of-state dog lover placed an adoption hold on him and drove twelve hours to pick him up, but was then informed that the dog was microchipped and the shelter was required to try locating the original guardian before adopting him out. Now he is back on the euthanasia list!

This heartbreaking story is a prime example of the stark reality of life for shelter animals. It should be standard protocol to immediately scan all incoming animals for microchips, and an animal should never be killed when there is an adopter who wants to take them home. Those interested in saving this sweet dog’s life can contact the Wichita Animal Shelter; his animal ID number is Kennel NM01.

Sadly, this is not an isolated case, and dogs, cats, and other animals all too often meet a tragic ending at shelters. You can help this serious problem by volunteering as a foster caretaker for shelter animals, which not only saves the foster animals’ lives and gives them valuable one-on-one time, but it also clears up space at the shelter for more abandoned animals. To learn more about fostering, check this out.

And please remember to share this with your network as a reminder why adoption is so valuable.

Photographer Who Gives Shelter Pit Bulls Flower Crowns to Help Them Get Adopted Is Coming Out With a Book!

Dog ‘Arrested’ For Chasing Deer Has to Be the Best Thing on the Internet

Richard Branson to Help Build the First Dolphin Sanctuary in North America for Captive Animals

Victory! Postmates to Stop Delivering Foie Gras to Customers

17 comments on “Dog With Microchip and Easily Treatable Cough Is in Danger of Being Euthanized – This Is Why Adoption Is So Important (VIDEO)”

Beverly A Buckley

OMG DID I JUST READ THIS CORRECTLY ? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS SHELTER DOING THINGS ASS BACKWARDS. GIVE ME A BREAK FIND THIS PUP A HOME & SCREW THAT MICROCHIP BS..HE DOES NOT NEED TO BE EUTHD FIND HIM A DAM HOME.

Lulu Atherton

um... I think somebody sure did miss the point... ie why microchip at all ....? who benefits from it except corporations ....

Lulu Atherton
08 Jan 2018

ah... an extremely rare... ENLIGHTENED one... tg

Luise Weinhold
08 Jan 2018

Once your dog gets stolen or escapes you wish for a safe identification system

Lulu Atherton
08 Jan 2018

never... I keep a close hand on my loved ones...and dont want artificial contaminants in my doggies

Victoria Hanshaw
08 Jan 2018

Cats especially run out doors really quickly under feet. Microchipping is a good idea for cats. I'd have a hard time believing something similar happening with a large dog but small dogs probably do the same thing. So no, it's not just corporations benefiting. I just saw a cat that escaped returned to it's owner a year later thanks to a microchip, this was in a lost and found group. Cats are sneaky and my one has gotten outside plenty but unlike some people's cats he doesn't run. I just pick him up and bring him back inside. Maybe you don't understand just how fast cats can be, since it seems you have dogs. As often as it happens to people, microchips are a good thing. Can you cite a source on these artificial contaminants? The only danger I know of microchipping is migration and possible malignant tumors. Though they're definitely recommended for pets that bolt. Thankfully I don't need to but I understand why some people would.

Valerie Card
08 Jan 2018

A microchip returned a cat to his family after 10 years. Ten years ago Pilot went missing from his home in Santa Rosa, CA. After the fires in October, 2017, in the wine country Pilot ended up at a pet hospital, being treated for burns. The hospital scanned him and learned who his family was. The Thompson’s had moved by then to Longmont, Colorado. “Now, after a flight to Colorado, two surgeries and lots of healing, Pilot is settling into his new — but familiar — home with the Thompsons and their three other cats.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/26/cat-goes-missing-10-years-california-wildfire-longmont-family-reunited/amp/

Lulu Atherton
08 Jan 2018

Lulu Atherton
08 Jan 2018

Gabrielle Lee Blank

I just laughed at the article,it was rediculous as fuck!!! Cuddling,ABUSE!! Sharing photos,ABUSE!! Petting ABUSE!! HOLY CHRIST!! PUSSIES EVERU FUCKING WHERE

Gabrielle Lee Blank

Everything is animal abuse to you,I feel like you are a libtard based site! Whining because people share cute photos and videos of dogs,and that's animal abuse?? Oh my fucking stars,grow a fucking pair you pussies! Holy shit! Here,I will buy you bitches some pampers to wear! Jesus I have never seen such whiny fucks in my entire life! Grow the fuck up!!

Gabrielle Lee Blank

I read your website and could not continue because your fucking stupidity hurt so damn bad.

Lynn Ross

This is seriously messed up. Why didn't they scan for the freaking chip immediately? And people wonder why I freaking cuss all the time.

Pam Williams

#HopeForPaws anyone near Wichita who can save this guy?

Cindee Gumke

why can't they cal the person that wanted to adopt the dog???

JOHN PASQUA

THE GREAT DOGS DESERVE FAMILY AND LOVE . ADOPT NOW.

Denise

All this dog wants is a forever loving home.