Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The picturesque island of Maui has faced its fair share of natural disasters, but the recent wildfires brought along an additional heart-wrenching challenge – the rescue of pets stranded in the aftermath.
Source: LiveNOW from FOX/YouTube
After the fires blazed through Maui, over 1,300 pets remained unaccounted for. Animal rescue workers, skilled in navigating such disaster zones, assembled with a mission to save these vulnerable creatures. However, to their astonishment, access to the burn zone was denied. Authorities cited reasons like the ongoing search for human remains and hazardous conditions in the Lahaina disaster zone.
The wait has been agonizing for animal lovers and residents alike. Every day, the chances of finding these pets alive diminish, as they struggle with injuries, burns, and dehydration. Residents, desperate to find their beloved pets, have been sharing sightings and photographs on social platforms, pleading for professional help to intervene.
While the human toll of the wildfires is undeniable, with at least 115 lives lost, the plight of the pets has added another layer of anguish. Trained animal crews usually have permission to enter disaster zones. Some residents have reported sightings of animals within the zone, amplifying the need for trained rescuers.
Saturday brought a glimmer of hope when a Maui County spokesperson announced plans to allow the Maui Humane Society access to the burn zone with an escort from the Hawaii National Guard. This decision, albeit late, will hopefully result in the reunion of pets with their anxious owners.
The ongoing situation in Maui underscores the bond between humans and their pets. As the island grapples with the devastation left behind by the fires, the community’s resilience shines, coming together to offer aid, share resources, and hold on to hope.
For now, as every minute counts, the eyes of Maui and its supporters worldwide are fixated on the brave souls venturing into the disaster zone, wishing them success in their vital mission.
- Flight Carries Animals from Maui to Oregon to Create Space in Shelter
- How the Lahaina Fire Ignited Change in Maui’s Policies
- Many Loved Animals Still Missing After Deadly Maui Fires
- Coming Together to Support Animals Affected by Maui Wildfires
- The Animal-Rescuing Heroes Amidst Southern Europe’s Wildfires
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!