There are still large companies that use animal testing in makeup production. As animal testing is still common practice in China, it is also mandatory for all companies that wish to import products there. Any company that sells in China must show proof of animal testing.
PETA lists all companies that do not test on animals, including The Body Shop, Covergirl and Dove.
Here are the 10 biggest companies that still test on animals for cosmetics production:
- Bourjois uses animal testing for products sold in China.
- Max Factor also uses animal testing for products sold in China.
- As required by law, Yves Rocher products exported to China are tested on animals. Yves Rocher products sold in Europe or the USA are not tested on animals.
- Shiseido has two cruelty-free brands, Buxom and BareMinerals. Their products sold in China are tested on animals.
- Revlon tests products sold in China on animals.
- Clinique sells products in China and those sold there are tested on animals.
- When required by law, like in China, Christian Dior will test on animals.
- Maybelline has disclosed that it tests on animals when its required by law or for safety or regulatory reasonings.
- In the Chinese market, Avon will test on animals.
- And the largest cosmetic company that tests on animals, L’Oreal will test on animals for products sold in China.
Animal testing for cosmetics was banned in the European Union in 2013. Animal testing for cosmetics includes skin and eye irritation tests, force-feeding studies and lethal dose test to determine if certain ingredients are dangerous. According to the Humane Society, animal testing has limitations, is not relevant to humans and test results can be difficult to interpret.
Animal testing for cosmetics is worthless and harmful. Sign this petition to end cosmetics animal testing in Canada. And sign this petition to end cosmetics animal testing in the United States. Read One Green Planet news on animal testing and cruelty-free cosmetics:
- Lady Gaga Launching Vegan, Cruelty-Free Makeup!
- Founder’s Finds: 15 Cruelty-Free Makeup Products!
- 10 Common Cosmetic Ingredients That Are Derived From Animal Products
- 5 Awesome Organizations Fighting to End Animal Testing
- Illinois Bans the Sale of Animal-Tested Cosmetics!
- Win! Animals No Longer Necessary to Test Neurotoxins
- Huge Victory! California Passes Ban on Animal Testing for Cosmetics
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!