Quick, Auntie Clara’s coming around and you want to make the house smell great (she’s really not one who’s afraid to comment that it’s smelly and a bit musty)! What do you reach for? Is it a spray? A candle? A wall plug-in? Or reed diffusers? Did you know that all of these can potentially be dangerous?

Air freshener sprays and plug-ins, which are used by 75 percent of American families, usually contain phthalates, a potentially dangerous chemical (which was banned from cosmetics in the UK). The National Resources Defense Council tested 14 air sprays off the shelf in Walgreens, including those labeled “all-natural” and “unscented” and found that 12 of the 14 tested positive for phthalates. A study of scented candles showed that frequently burning paraffin wax candles in poorly ventilated rooms could be dangerous because when burned they give off toluene and benzene, potential carcinogens. Reed diffusers, on the other hand, are often made with dipropylene glycol, an ingredient also used in antifreeze, which is dangerous to cats and dogs, or ethanol, and also pose a danger to small children if they ingest the liquid or get it in their eyes.

Don’t fear, Green Monsters, because it’s easy to make your house smell great without any nasty chemicals, using ingredients you likely have in your house right now!

1. Open a Window and Catch the Breeze

The simplest trick is to simply open a window or door and let some fresh air in, especially when the weather is nice. Sunlight also helps kill smells, so let some light in when it’s sunny out.

2. Boil Cinnamon

This is a super easy method which works just as well as a room spray, doesn’t contain any dangerous additives, is cheap and doesn’t involve going out and buying anything (assuming you’ve got cinnamon in your house). Simply add a couple of cinnamon sticks or sprinkling of cinnamon to a saucepan full of water, and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes until the smell disperses throughout your home. If you’ve got a large house, you can even carefully carry the pan around to different rooms and let the smell evaporate in each room for a bit.

3. Clean With Fruit

Did you know you can clean with lemon juice? You can use it to clean the shower and remove soap scum and limescale, as well as combine lemons with baking soda to clean the toilet, and leave your house smelling lemony and fresh!

4. Make Your Own Room Spray

You can make a super easy air freshener spray out of lime juice, water and baking soda, which neutralizes smells and will leave your house smelling great! It’s not expensive to make and it’s completely natural.

5. Bake Something

Bake some delicious cookies, brownies or cake, and your house will not only smell great for any guests you’re having over, but you also get the bonus of having cookies or cake to eat!

6. Flowers

Buy a bouquet of flowers and leave them on your counter, dining room table or coffee table – not only are they pretty to look at, but they will also make the room smell great!

7. Grind Coffee

Buy coffee beans (preferably organic and fair-trade) and grind them yourself – not only does it taste better, but it will make your house smell fantastic, too.

8. Make Herb Sachets

Get some small cotton or mulin bags and fill them with your favorite dried herbs, flowers and spices, and place in drawers to make your clothes smell good, instead of buying artificially scented drawer/closet scent diffusers.

9. Other Things to Make Yourself

Although you may need to go out and buy some new ingredients, you can also make your own reed diffuser oil and candles at home. For reed diffuser oil, add a few drops of your favorite scent of essential oil (being careful not to let essential oil touch your bare skin) to a carrier oil like almond oil, then put in a narrow-necked glass bottle with reeds. Make sure you keep it out of reach of small children and pets. To make your own soy candles, follow this guide here.

Image source: Spotlight on Cinnamon: Health Benefits, Tips + Recipes

How to Forage for Stinging Nettles

Make Your Own Hard Apple Cider With This Year’s Fall Harvest

How to Make Your Own Herbal Teas

What to Forage in Fall

109 comments on “9 Hacks to Make Your House Smell Great Without Any Dangerous Chemicals”

Latina
5 Days ago

MIENTRAS NO CONSIGA ESTA TARJETA BLANCA DE HACKING DEL ATM EN VEZ DE CONSEGUIR UN PRÉSTAMO
Obtenga $ 5,500 USD todos los días con la ayuda de esta tarjeta de hacking ATM muy en blanco Vea cómo funciona ¿Sabe usted puede hackear en cualquier cajero automático con una tarjeta Atm hackeado? Deja que te importa antes de aplicar, trato directo ... Orden para un Atm en blanco tarjeta ahora y obtener millones en una semana !: póngase en contacto con nosotros dirección de correo electrónico:: harrytechworld@gmail.com o también puede comunicarse con nosotros en whatsapp + 2348032460627We tienen especialmente programadas tarjetas de cajero automático que se puede utilizar para cortar cajeros automáticos, para retirar en el cajero automático o deslizar, en tiendas y puntos de venta. Vendemos estas tarjetas a todos nuestros clientes y compradores interesados ​​en todo el mundo, la tarjeta tiene un límite diario de retiro de $ 5,500 en cajeros automáticos y hasta $ 50,000 de límite de gastos en las tiendas dependiendo del tipo de tarjeta que usted pide para :: y también si usted está en necesidad de anyother cyber hack servicios, estamos aquí para usted en cualquier momento cualquier día. Las tarjetas que retiran $ 5,500 por día cuestan $ 150 USD Las tarjetas que retiran $ 10,000 por día cuestan $ 255 USD Las tarjetas que retiran $ 35,000 por día cuestan $ 550 USD Las tarjetas que retiran $ 50,000 por día cuestan $ 3670 USD Las tarjetas que retiran $ 100,000 por día cuesta $ 5600 USD componen su mente antes de aplicar, oferta directa! El precio incluye los gastos de envío y cargos, la orden ahora: póngase en contacto con nosotros a través de correo electrónico .. Sharrytechworld @ gmail.com O whatsapp >> + 2348032460627

Stacey Jones
12 Days ago

If you need to hire a real hacker to help spy on your partner\'s cell phone remotely, change your grades or boost your credit score. Contact this helpline +1 (347)857.7580 or the email address expressfoundations@gmail.com

Vernon Darran

Mr Dickson Intelligent Blank ATM Cards Which Have Been Specially Programmed Atm Card Contact Email Dicksonblankatmhacker@gmail.com

I am announcing this amazing testimonial on this blog, about Mr Dickson how the Blank ATM Card experience changed my whole life.the 2017 blank Atm Programmed Card and cash money directly in any ATM Machine around you. There is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it´s not traceable,so luckily i read about the blank ATM card exercise and how it has made people become rich. I contacted the email address i attached to the testimonial of some beneficiaries and here i am today, all thanks to Global Tech Hackers Team Incorporation world wide for helping me with a blank ATM Card. Now all my financial worries are over. All you need to do is send a message to the email address provided: dicksonblankatmhacker@gmail.com site https://www.reddit.com/r/hacker/comments/6j8dbw/get_your_blank_atm_card_here/#sthash.m26G8qdK.dpuf.

Vernon Darran

Elizabeth Richards

I\'ve heard so much about this blank ATM card but doubted if it was real due to numerous comments all over the internet which makes it difficult to know the REAL hackers. I decided to go on the internet then i read so many testimony of Ghost Hacking Foundation on how they\'ve helped so many people with the blank ATM card though i was curious, but i realized that giving a try would not also hurt. I had no option than to give the hacker an opportunity by contacting his email: ghosthackingfoundation.hk@gmail.com. They instructed me on what to do and how much i need to pay for the card to get to me & i did and waited for the card to be delivered, i was nervous if they had ran away with my money but to my greatest surprise i received an email which was my tracking number to my shipped card and for the past two days now i have withdrawn $10,000,00. If you need an ATM card contact ATM, send an email to: ghosthackingfoundation.hk@gmail.com

Elizabeth Richards

Elizabeth Richards

Castro Luis

I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to
withdraw the maximum of $50,000 MONTHLY for a maximum of 12 MONTHS. I am so happy about this because i got mine last week
and I have used it to get $150,000 already. Georg Bednorz Hackers is giving
out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it
is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending
to have the blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when
using the card. get yours from Georg Bednorz Hackers today! Just send an email
to georgbednorzhackers@gmail.com

alicia

I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of $5,000 daily for a maximum of 31 days. I am so happy about this because i got mine and I have used it to get $155,000. MR OSCAR is giving out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it is something nice that will help your financial hardship to a change of level financially. And no one gets caught when using the card for the card is well program and very active. get yours from him. Just send him an email On oscarwhitehackersworld@gmail.com THIS IS 100% REAL. I AM A BENEFICIARY OF THIS. HACKERS EMAIL: oscarwhitehackersworld@gmail.com

Nicole

Turkey American Professional Hacker is Here Now !!!!! i\'m Richard Morrison, popularly known as trusted hacker, well basically i perform all sort of hacks and penetration into any and i mean literarilly any database. Hack facebook ? Hack email? change school grades? Hack Visichat Room ? Hack Flash Chat Room ? Hack Ftp User & Pass ? Hack Database ? Hack Yahoo Mail ? Hack Gmail Id ? Hack Websites ? Hack Face Book Account ? hack Vb Forum ? Hack WordPress Blog? hack C C any country ? hack moneybooker ACCOUNT ? hack liberty Reverse Account ? hack paypal Account ? Root server ? bypass Google phone verification ? Install Red5 On linux server ? Hash Crack ? Hack Bank Account ? Ddos Service ? hack twitter? erase criminal records? (trusthacker543@gmail.com )