Many of us never have the privilege of getting to know a farm animal. Instead, we know them by their parts. A cow is a rib steak, a brisket, a package of ground beef. A pig is a strip of bacon, schnitzel, a loin chop. A chicken is a wing, drumstick, or a thigh.
While this categorizing may make it easier for some to pick out what they’d like from the grocery store, it’s also a way of distancing ourselves from who these individuals once were.
Thinking of a farm animal as an individual is certainly not something many feel comfortable with, but just like the domestic animals we share our households with, farm animals also have their own distinct personalities, likes, dislikes, and desires. What’s more, if we’d give them a chance, they’d show us just as much love as our beloved dogs and cats.
To prove this to you, take a look at the 12 photos below. Each embodies two key elements: (1) that farm animals can show us endless amounts of love, and (2) that we have everything in our power to return the same love and affection to them, too. Now, isn’t that wonderful?
1. “I always love snuggle time with my human. Wouldn’t you?”
2. “That’s how I like it — right behind the ears. Thank you, kind human!”
3. “To be in warm, caring arms — now this is the life!”
4. “We’re totally soul mates. No doubt about it.”
5. “Get ready, human. I’m coming in for a real big hug!”
6. “You might not be able to tell, but I’m smiling right back at you, young human. Smiling real big.”
7. “You’ve never known a cuddle until you’ve cuddled a turkey.”
8. “Cow kisses are the best kind of kisses.”
9. “My human makes a great pillow.”
10. “I usually don’t like being tickled but for you I’ll make an exception.”
11. “Nose nuzzle time!”
12. “We’re not so different, you and me, can’t you see?”[caption id="attachment_1481050598" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Farm Sanctuary / Facebook[/caption]
Lead image source: Farm Sanctuary / Facebook