When I dream of Moroccan food, I picture sweet but warming aromas, fresh herbs, sticky dried fruits, and tons of color. This salad ticks all of those boxes. Roasting the vegetables with the spices enhances the flavors, while the fresh herbs, chopped nuts, and fruits add texture and life to this make-ahead salad.
Morrocan Style Quinoa Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Morrocan Style Quinoa Salad [Vegan]
For the Quinoa:
- 1/2 cup (90 g) dry quinoa
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth or stock
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 can chickpeas (drained:8 ounces, or 240 g)
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup (50 g) chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup (80 g) pomegranate
- 5 large Medjool dates (pitted and chopped: ½ cup, or 100 g
- 2 tablespoons (8 g) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) chopped fresh mint
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Morrocan Style Quinoa Salad [Vegan]
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions using vegetable broth or stock in place of water to add more flavor. Cool for 20 minutes and fluff up with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Add the red onion and bell pepper and toss with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, until tender and charring at the edges, tossing halfway through.
- Trim the top off the garlic bulb to expose the raw garlic and peel away any flaky skin. Rub with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil and wrap with tinfoil. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the garlic is soft inside. The garlic will keep in the fridge for 1 week.
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients, and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze three of the roasted garlic cloves from the bulb and mash with a fork. Stir into the dressing.
- Add the quinoa and vegetables to a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas, carrot, almonds, pomegranate, dates, parsley, and mint. Pour over the dressing and toss well.
- Serve right away or keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
Serving Suggestions and Variations
- Use any grain for this salad
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.