Leftover rice should be immediately kept in the refrigerator but never kept in the refrigerator for too long. Got some excess leftovers on your hands, turn it into this bread to use it all! The bread comes out soft and spongy and is best eaten the same day.
Leftover Rice Bread [Vegan]
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cooked rice (freshly cooked, leftover, white rice or brown rice)
- 3 teaspoons oil for bread and 1 teaspoon for greasing the bowl and pan
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- In a large bowl, take flour, salt, and oil. Mix well.
- In another bowl, take water, sugar, and yeast. Mix, cover and keep for 10 minutes. It should turn frothy. Add rice and mix.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mix. Knead for 6-7 minutes till you get a smooth, slightly tacky dough.
- In the beginning, take slightly less than 3/4 cup water for activating the yeast. While kneading keep adding water as needed. We don’t want a very sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and turn around once so that it is evenly coated with oil. Cover with a kitchen towel and keep in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until double.
- Grease one 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Transfer the risen dough onto a floured counter. With your fingers, flatten the dough into 8 x 10-inch rectangle. Tightly roll the dough, pinch, and tuck the ends in. Place into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 360°F for 40-45 minutes. The top should turn golden brown and the pan should sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool on the rack. Slice when cold.