This cinnamon raisin swirl bread is ideal for breakfast or to be enjoyed as an afternoon treat. Soy milk gives it its soft fluffy texture, and it is then swirled with cinnamon, studded with raisins, brushed with vegan butter, and then sprinkled with some more cinnamon and sugar. Serve warm with a hot cup of coffee.
Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Cinnamon Swirl:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the barely warm milk and water and allow to sit about 5-10 minutes until activated.
- Mix in the sugar, salt, and melted butter. Add the raisins.
- Gradually add flour, mixing until the dough comes together. If the dough is too dry, add small amounts of water until it does. If the dough is too sticky, add flour until it becomes workable; however, do not add too much flour or the bread will become dense.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 7-10 minutes until elastic. Cover dough with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled in a warm place, about 1 hour.
- Now, prepare the filling. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon until evenly mixed. Set aside.
- Punch down the dough before turning out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 9 by 15-inch rectangle.
- Spread some soft vegan butter over the dough before sprinkling the cinnamon sugar over it.
- Starting with the shortest end, roll up the dough until a log is formed, folding down the ends. Transfer the log, seam side down, into a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan. Press dough down so it reaches the corners evenly. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for another 40-60 minutes until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from baking pan and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.