This recipe takes a bit of time, especially if you make your own dough for the pizza (which I highly recommend- this was an amazing pizza crust). The white sauce recipe below (a bechamel of sorts) makes a lot - far more than is needed for the pizza, so plan ahead a little - it also makes a great pasta sauce.
White Zucchini Pizza
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 medium large zucchini, skin on, grated
- 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- 1 ladle white sauce
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 package rapid rise yeast (.25 ounce)
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 small red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1//4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the dough by combining the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl. Allow to stand for about five minutes. The mixture will become a bit frothy, that is good. Combining the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer (if you do not have a stand mixer used a large mixing bowl) Add the yeast mixture and blend on medium high for about five minutes. While the dough is mixing add the olive oil. If not using a stand mixer add all ingredients to the flour and combine with your hands. When the dough starts to come together knead for about eight minutes.
- The dough ball will be slightly oily to the touch. Place the dough ball into a bowl, cover with a towel and allow to rise for one hour. The dough will approximately double in size.
- While the dough rises prepare the zucchini and the sauce.
- First, remove as much of the moisture as you can from the zucchini by squeezing in your hands and allowing the moisture to be extracted. Place the zucchini shreds on a paper towel and pat dry. Transfer to a bowl and add a quarter cup of the vegan mozzarella. Set aside.
- To prepare the sauce first measure out all of the ingredients. This will make the process much easier. On the stove over medium heat melt the vegan butter in a sauce pan and add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cook until soft but not browned (about four minutes). Add the flour and stir until it is absorbed by the butter. Add the white wine, vegetable stock, almond milk and bay leaf. Stir constantly until it starts to thicken- about ten minutes. Remove the bay leaf and add the vegan mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to stir until smooth. Add the cornstarch/vegetable stock mixture and stir until sauce is nicely thickened. This whole process could take as long as 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- While the sauce is cooking, preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Roll out the pizza dough into the shape of your choice (I decided on a rectangle as I did not have a pan to accomodate a circle). Lightly grease a baking sheet and place the dough on the sheet. Ladle on the sauce and spread evenly. Top with the zucchini/vegan cheese mixture. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired.
- Turn the oven down to 450 degrees and bake the pizza for about 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Serve warm.