New York City Major Eric Adams has infamously cleared homeless encampments and left thousand of unhoused people vulnerable and without anywhere to turn to sleep. Now, Adams is expanding on these cruel programs and is saying that the city will begin involuntarily hospitalizing people who are mentally ill.
Source: PBS NewsHour/Youtube
This is completely backward and an extremely cruel and ineffective way to support people with mental illness. Adams is even claiming that involuntary hospitalization is the “moral responsibility” of the city. People with mental illnesses have, however, continuously identified programs that would actually help them, such as shelter and housing, healthcare, and food.
Giving people without houses a safe place to eat and rest and access to free healthcare could actually help them care for themselves and get into treatment. Siccing police on people that have severe mental illness has not worked in the past.
Sign this petition to demand Mayor Eric Adams end involuntary hospitalization and instead focus on social programs that actually work!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Protect The Once Extinct Somali Elephant Shrew
- Pledge to Recycle Your Christmas Tree
- Investigate Doctor Who Let Male Medical Student Give Woman Pelvic Exam Without Consent
- Demand Mayor Eric Adams Stop Involuntarily Locking up People With Mental Illness in NYC
- Make Sure This Woman Who Neglected Almost 200 Dogs Gets a Lifelong Ban on Animal Ownership
- Tell Alabama to Ban the Death Penalty After Three Botched Lethal Injections
- Demand Shein Abide by Labor Laws and Stop Exploiting Workers
- Demand the DEA Revise the Opioid Regulation Strategy
- Demand Proper Oversight for Edmonton Zoo After Years of Welfare Concerns
- Free Two Beagle Puppies Who Are Facing Death in Police Custody
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!