Debarking is accomplished by way of major invasive surgery at the risk of infection, blood loss, and other complications. After these surgeries, the animals are highly at risk of infection, especially since the larynx and trachea cannot be completely sterilized during surgery. There’s also the risk of “webbing,” which can lead to respiratory problems and cause tracheitis. The goal of this painful procedure is to muffle or eliminate dog barking.
Source: BCIT News/Youtube
In most cases, devocalization is unnecessary and the problem can often be solved with training. Veterinarian Rob Ashburner, who owns the West King Edward Animal Clinic, said barking allows dogs to express themselves and helps them communicate with people and other dogs. “Barking is a natural behavior for dogs to express dog emotions … being able to vocalize is a good thing for dogs,” he added.
Sign this petition to demand the North Carolina state legislature pass a bill that bans debarking!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand Rozie’s Zoo Be Shut Down Before More of her Babies Die
- Demand action against climate change
- Ban this Cancer-Causing Bread Ingredient
- Invest in the Ethical Training of COVID-Sniffing Dogs
- Stop Drilling in Scott Reef, Australia
- Demand that Canada end gruesome seal hunt
- Urge the Indian Government to punish animal cruelty
- Demand an end to abusive Horse “blood farms” in Iceland
- Rescue an abused and captive lion who had his teeth ripped out
- Stand up for the human rights of women in Turkey
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!