This kitchari is an Indian comfort food that provides strength and energy. It uses the six tastes of Ayurvedic cooking — sweet, sour, pungent, astringent, bitter, and salty, so it leaves you feeling full without the sluggishness. This take on kitchari uses both lentils and quinoa, so it's packed with protein, but feel free to add a side of rice to make it last!
Lentil and Quinoa Kitchari [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil and Quinoa Kitchari [Vegan]
For the Kitchari:
- 3/4 cup red split lentils (masur dal)
- 1/3 cup white quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger paste
- 2 green chilis, minced
For the Tempering:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 red onion, finely diced
For the Garnish:
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
How to Prepare Lentil and Quinoa Kitchari [Vegan]
- Place the red lentils and quinoa in a pressure cooker.
- Add in the water, salt, turmeric, ginger paste, and green chilis.
- Cook under pressure for about 25 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooling, heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the cumin seeds and wait for 30 seconds for them to sizzle lightly.
- Add in the onions and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes until the onions are a dark golden brown color.
- Remove the pressure cooker and mix the lentil mixture well, it should have a soft and creamy consistency.
- Add in the onion cumin mixture and stir well.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and garnish with the cilantro before serving
You will need to cook this for about 1 hour and 15 minutes in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding some more water as needed to ensure a soft risotto like texture. This recipe freezes well.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.