This salad seems to be the essence of spring. It’s light and fresh. Colorful. Za’atar (pronounced zah-tar) is a Middle Eastern spice mixture that is mostly thyme with oregano, marjoram, sesame seeds and some other spices. You can find it at most grocery stores, but I recommend buying it at a local Middle Eastern market.
Za’atar Roasted Chickpea Salad [Vegan]
- 1-15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons Za’atar spice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Toss the chickpeas with the Za’atar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Bake for 8 minutes, toss and bake for 8 more minutes.
- While the chickpeas are in the oven, prepare the cucumber, tomato and lemon juice. Mix them in a medium bowl and set aside.
- When the chickpeas are cooled, add them to the veggies and toss together.
- Taste for seasoning, add more salt, pepper or lemon juice as needed.