This bowl is packed with so many flavors and textures! You wouldn't think to put these together in one dish, but when you do, it all comes together. It's crunchy, sweet, savory, umami-infused, and heartily filling.
Wild Rice Bowl With Sweet Potato Fries, Tempeh, and Pickles [Vegan]
For the Rice Bowl:
- 1/2 cup wild rice, plus 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Half of a large sweet potato, 1 tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper, to taste
- Half a 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 baby dill pickles (or 3 large ones)
- Half a package of tempeh
- A couple handfuls of arugula
- 1 large sheet of roasted nori
- A sprinkle of black sesame seeds
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Make the rice by combining 1/2 cup of wild rice with 1 1/2 cups of water and the coconut oil. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice the sweet potato into thin fries. Cut approximately 1/4-inch rounds and then slicing those into thin strips. Toss fries with oil, salt, and pepper then bake on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, rotating and flipping halfway through.
- Slice the tempeh into long strips. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add approximately 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the strips of tempeh into the pan, they will sizzle if it is hot enough. Fry the strips for approximately 2 minutes per side, until they are golden brown. If desired, splash some soy sauce over the tempeh right before you take it off the heat. Set aside.
- Slice the dill pickled lengthways in half. Fold the sheet of nori into quarters then slice into thin strips with a sharp knife.
- Make the sauce by combining all ingredients and whisking to a smooth consistency.
- Plate and serve! Place rice, arugula, sweet potatoes, black beans, pickles, and tempeh in a bowl. Sprinkle with nori and black sesame seeds.