This bread may appear ordinary on the outside, but when you slice into it you will see the beautiful, vibrant red swirl throughout! This whole wheat loaf uses beet root to add the pop of color. What a perfect and delicious way to fully utilize all of beet.
Whole Wheat Beet Swirl Bread [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Whole Wheat Beet Swirl Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons boiled and puréed beets
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
How to Prepare Whole Wheat Beet Swirl Bread [Vegan]
- Take warm water in a bowl and dissolve sugar and add yeast. Keep aside for 15 minutes until frothy.
- Whisk together both the flours and salt. Add oil and mix well.
- Divide dry flour mix into two separate parts (1 1/2 cups each) and keep them in separate plates.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar to yeast mix and stir until it dissolves.
- Add this water to the first plate and knead a soft dough. Keep adding water until the dough gets supple and elastic. It will take about 6 to 8 minutes. Keep it in an oiled bowl and turn the dough to around to coat it with oil on all sides. Cover and keep in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- To the second plate, add 4 tablespoons of beet purée. Now add water and repeat the process (as with the first dough)
- Grease one 9x4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Now we have two types of dough- the white and the pink. Remove white dough from the bowl to the working counter. Sprinkle some all purpose flour, punch, and knead for 3 to 4 minutes. Now roll out the dough into a rectangle (about 12x 5-inch) not bigger than the width of the pan you are using. Repeat the same with the pink dough.
- Place pink dough over the white dough. Dip your hands in warm water and spatter some water on the white dough (just to make it moist). Press gently.
- Roll the dough towards you tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Place the roll in the greased loaf tin with the seam side down. Cover and keep it to rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top turns brown and the bottom of the pan sounds empty when tapped. If the loaf is browning too quickly, tent the loaf loosely with a foil.
- Remove from the loaf tin after 10 minutes. Cool in the rack. Slice next day.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.